It is now the year of the rooster the last year of the Calendar.
In the heart of Chinatown Calgary there is a staple that draws many to it, The Cultural Centre.
The building has become such a local icon and can also be rented out for parties thrown by the public.
It was completed in 1992 and cost nearly $30 million.
It was inspired by the a building in Beijing called the Temple of Heaven.
The ceiling is one of the cultural centres is a defining characteristics
There are 561 dragons and 40 phenixes.
The 21 metre high ceiling is also supported by 4 gold trimmed columns.
The ceiling is truly a work of art and draws people to see its designs.
This is the oldest theatre in Calgary it was built in 1912. The Theatre is thought to be one of Calgary’s “first major cultural gift.”
When Theatre Junction Grand opened in 1912 it had 1350 seats and had the largest stage in Canada.
The current Stage space is 16.46m by 10.97m.
It was designed by an Architect named LR Wardrop.
Sir James Alexander Lougheed had the building built.
The building is home to Theatre Junction a not for profit organization for the preforming arts.
In 1979 Theatre Junction Grand was slated for demolition due to the amount of wear and tear and was closed tell 2005.
2005 the building was bought by Theatre Junction for $12 million dollars thus saving the building. Theatre Junction renovated the building breathing life into the Grand after years the oldest Theatre in Calgary was up and running again.
In 2014 Theatre Junction opened a restaurant called Workshop Kitchen + Culture. Workshop Kitchen + Culture menu is known to change. The restaurant is fine dinning without the commitment of dressing up, patrons are seen dressed casual to formal attire.
It was designed by a Architect named Maxwell Bates, his most notable work was St Mary’s Cathedral. The modern Gothic design has been standing on 18th ave since February of 1957. The building is a very close to 17th ave and can be seen from 12th ave because of its bright lights.
The Cathedral over looks Rouleuville square which is the remains of a town just outside Calgary before it was taken completely over by Calgary in 1907, due to the rapid expansion by CP rails.
There has been modifications over the years to the building including in 1957 a 16ft statue of the Virgin Mary holding a child, made by Luke Lindoe.The church also contains bells from an older church that occupied the land earlier that where originally donated by Senator Patrick Burns.
The building is made of brick, it was originally suppose to be sandstone.