The National Music Centre

IMG_5305.JPG

Apart of Calgary’s East village the National Music Centre is home to a collection of musical instruments that are part of Canada’s history in music. Originally the plan was to preserve the King Edward Hotel a historic hotel in Calgary’s East Village after it was Condemned but given the opportunity they built the Centre. The King Edward hosted numerous Jazz musicians.

The Centre is made of ceramic tiles that have a floating affect, they were brought from Germany and the Netherlands. The building was designed to carry sound around the building so that you can hear the music being played from the 5th floor at the first floor.

The Studio Cost $191 Million dollars it began construction in 2013. Private citizens and companies donated from $100,000 to $500,000 to the project.

The Bell Studio is also available to be rented for parties and special occasions.

Chinese Cultural Centre

It is now the year of the rooster the last year of the Calendar.

In the heart of Chinatown Calgary there is a staple that draws many to it, The Cultural Centre.

The building has become such a local icon and can also be rented out for parties thrown by the public.

It was completed in 1992 and cost nearly $30 million.

It was inspired by the a building in Beijing called the Temple of Heaven.

IMG_1812.JPG

The ceiling is one of the cultural centres is a defining characteristics

There are 561 dragons and 40 phenixes.

The 21 metre high ceiling is also supported by 4 gold trimmed columns.

The ceiling is truly a work of art and draws people to see its designs.

Olympic Plaza

Originally made for the medal ceremony of the 1988 Olympics the plaza now is used as a venue for public events.

Every year for Canada day they enjoy celebrations in Olympic Plaza.

Olympic Plaza is located right across Old City Hall and the Calgary Manciple Building

In the Winter Olympic Plaza is transformed into a outdoor ice rink.

In 2004 about 30,000 people packed the Plaza to celebrate the Calgary Flames run at the Stanley Cup.

People are a loud to skate for free.

People of Calgary payed for Olympic Plaza brick by brick, Private citizens bought a single brick.

Citizens bought each brick for $20 each.

There has been talk of renovation since 2004 of the plaza, do to the amount of aging the brick’s may not be salvageable in their current condition.

Olympic Plaza is a favourite place amongst Calgarians, many come on any given day just to eat lunch near the beautifully designed structure.

 

McDougall Centre

The McDougall Centre was built in 1908 and was originally called “Provincial Normal School”

The Architect behind the building Allan Merrick Jeffers.

The building is made of Sandstone and helped earn the city the nickname “The Sandstone City.”

Jeffers was appointed Alberta’s provincial Architect in 1907.

The McDougall Centre is made out of Sandstone like many classical buildings in Calgary.

The building was designed in Beaux Art style, which is lavish and ornamentally heavy.

It was used as the provinces first normal school.

It is thought that this school was used to compensate for Edmonton Being Called Alberta’s Capital.

A normal school is used to train high school graduates to be teachers or a teachers college.

It was renamed McDougall School when the Calgary Board of Education (CBE) bought it in 1922, It was named to honour George and John McDougall.

It was used as a school and the office of the CBE.

The McDougall School was used as a Elementary and Jr. High school until 1981.

The Building was no longer feasible as a school due to low enrolment.

It was named a historic resource in 1982 and went through a five year renovation and was reopened in 1987.

In 1987 it was used as the south government building, it is now a office and meeting place for Alberta’s official’s.

George C. King Bridge

img_1817

Formally known as the St. Patrick island bridge the George C. King Bridge spans the Bow River.

The Bridge was Renamed George C. King for Calgary’s second Mayor who served as Mayor from November 4 1886- January 16 1888.

The bridge is 182 metres across.

The bridge cost $25 Million.

The bridge was the winner of a contest to decide the bridge design for the revitalization of the east village.

The bridge was designed to look like “stones being skipped.”

Before the bridge was even up and running it was hit by the 2013 floods causing damage to the bridge deck forcing the project back a year.

The George C. King bridge was designed for pedestrians and cyclists.

The designers are based out of Paris, known as RFR SAS.

The bridge links East Village to St. Patrick Island Park.

Theatre Junction Grand

img_1715

This is the oldest theatre in Calgary it was built in 1912. The Theatre is thought to be one of Calgary’s “first major cultural gift.”

When Theatre Junction Grand opened in 1912 it had 1350 seats and had the largest stage in Canada.

The current Stage space is 16.46m by 10.97m.

It was designed by an Architect named LR Wardrop.

Sir James Alexander Lougheed had the building built.

The building is home to Theatre Junction a not for profit organization for the preforming arts.

In 1979 Theatre Junction Grand was slated for demolition due to the amount of wear and tear and was closed tell 2005.

2005 the building was bought by Theatre Junction for $12 million dollars thus saving the building. Theatre Junction renovated the building breathing life into the Grand after years the oldest Theatre in Calgary was up and running again.

In 2014 Theatre Junction opened a restaurant called Workshop Kitchen + Culture. Workshop Kitchen + Culture menu is known to change. The restaurant is fine dinning without the commitment of dressing up, patrons are seen dressed casual to formal attire.

Langevin Bridge

img_1563

One of the oldest bridges in Calgary, the Langevin Bridge is 116.74 metres long and 14.02 metres wide.

In 1907 the original bridge that linked Calgary and riverside needed to be replaced due to ware and tare of the residents of Calgary and Riverside (at the time Riverside was separate from Calgary)

The Langevin Bridge was designed by an American civil engineer Charles H. Parker.

The bridge has been open since 1910, in 2009 the city set up 5600 programable LED lights to change colour and modernize the aging bridge. There is a website set up by the east village that allows the public to request colours on the bridge for charity’s and events.

in 1911 raised the approach road levels to give easy access to street cars railways which in the 1950s was removed, because of the new electric powered train system.

January of 2014 the Langevin Bridge was given a “Heritage Authority Plaque,” making it a historic site for the City of Calgary.

In recent years there has been calls to rename the bridge due to a controversy of the past. James T. Child a city engineer (1908-1911) thought the bridge to be named the riverside bridge, simply because of the district it was in.