One of the oldest bridges in Calgary, the Langevin Bridge is 116.74 metres long and 14.02 metres wide.
In 1907 the original bridge that linked Calgary and riverside needed to be replaced due to ware and tare of the residents of Calgary and Riverside (at the time Riverside was separate from Calgary)
The Langevin Bridge was designed by an American civil engineer Charles H. Parker.
The bridge has been open since 1910, in 2009 the city set up 5600 programable LED lights to change colour and modernize the aging bridge. There is a website set up by the east village that allows the public to request colours on the bridge for charity’s and events.
in 1911 raised the approach road levels to give easy access to street cars railways which in the 1950s was removed, because of the new electric powered train system.
January of 2014 the Langevin Bridge was given a “Heritage Authority Plaque,” making it a historic site for the City of Calgary.
In recent years there has been calls to rename the bridge due to a controversy of the past. James T. Child a city engineer (1908-1911) thought the bridge to be named the riverside bridge, simply because of the district it was in.