The McDougall Centre was built in 1908 and was originally called “Provincial Normal School”
The Architect behind the building Allan Merrick Jeffers.
The building is made of Sandstone and helped earn the city the nickname “The Sandstone City.”
Jeffers was appointed Alberta’s provincial Architect in 1907.
The McDougall Centre is made out of Sandstone like many classical buildings in Calgary.
The building was designed in Beaux Art style, which is lavish and ornamentally heavy.
It was used as the provinces first normal school.
It is thought that this school was used to compensate for Edmonton Being Called Alberta’s Capital.
A normal school is used to train high school graduates to be teachers or a teachers college.
It was renamed McDougall School when the Calgary Board of Education (CBE) bought it in 1922, It was named to honour George and John McDougall.
It was used as a school and the office of the CBE.
The McDougall School was used as a Elementary and Jr. High school until 1981.
The Building was no longer feasible as a school due to low enrolment.
It was named a historic resource in 1982 and went through a five year renovation and was reopened in 1987.
In 1987 it was used as the south government building, it is now a office and meeting place for Alberta’s official’s.
Formally known as the St. Patrick island bridge the George C. King Bridge spans the Bow River.
The Bridge was Renamed George C. King for Calgary’s second Mayor who served as Mayor from November 4 1886- January 16 1888.
The bridge is 182 metres across.
The bridge cost $25 Million.
The bridge was the winner of a contest to decide the bridge design for the revitalization of the east village.
The bridge was designed to look like “stones being skipped.”
Before the bridge was even up and running it was hit by the 2013 floods causing damage to the bridge deck forcing the project back a year.
The George C. King bridge was designed for pedestrians and cyclists.
The designers are based out of Paris, known as RFR SAS.
The bridge links East Village to St. Patrick Island Park.
This is the oldest theatre in Calgary it was built in 1912. The Theatre is thought to be one of Calgary’s “first major cultural gift.”
When Theatre Junction Grand opened in 1912 it had 1350 seats and had the largest stage in Canada.
The current Stage space is 16.46m by 10.97m.
It was designed by an Architect named LR Wardrop.
Sir James Alexander Lougheed had the building built.
The building is home to Theatre Junction a not for profit organization for the preforming arts.
In 1979 Theatre Junction Grand was slated for demolition due to the amount of wear and tear and was closed tell 2005.
2005 the building was bought by Theatre Junction for $12 million dollars thus saving the building. Theatre Junction renovated the building breathing life into the Grand after years the oldest Theatre in Calgary was up and running again.
In 2014 Theatre Junction opened a restaurant called Workshop Kitchen + Culture. Workshop Kitchen + Culture menu is known to change. The restaurant is fine dinning without the commitment of dressing up, patrons are seen dressed casual to formal attire.
One of the oldest bridges in Calgary, the Langevin Bridge is 116.74 metres long and 14.02 metres wide.
In 1907 the original bridge that linked Calgary and riverside needed to be replaced due to ware and tare of the residents of Calgary and Riverside (at the time Riverside was separate from Calgary)
The Langevin Bridge was designed by an American civil engineer Charles H. Parker.
The bridge has been open since 1910, in 2009 the city set up 5600 programable LED lights to change colour and modernize the aging bridge. There is a website set up by the east village that allows the public to request colours on the bridge for charity’s and events.
in 1911 raised the approach road levels to give easy access to street cars railways which in the 1950s was removed, because of the new electric powered train system.
January of 2014 the Langevin Bridge was given a “Heritage Authority Plaque,” making it a historic site for the City of Calgary.
In recent years there has been calls to rename the bridge due to a controversy of the past. James T. Child a city engineer (1908-1911) thought the bridge to be named the riverside bridge, simply because of the district it was in.