It was designed by a Architect named Maxwell Bates, his most notable work was St Mary’s Cathedral. The modern Gothic design has been standing on 18th ave since February of 1957. The building is a very close to 17th ave and can be seen from 12th ave because of its bright lights.
The Cathedral over looks Rouleuville square which is the remains of a town just outside Calgary before it was taken completely over by Calgary in 1907, due to the rapid expansion by CP rails.
There has been modifications over the years to the building including in 1957 a 16ft statue of the Virgin Mary holding a child, made by Luke Lindoe.The church also contains bells from an older church that occupied the land earlier that where originally donated by Senator Patrick Burns.
The building is made of brick, it was originally suppose to be sandstone.